Brain Tracy, in his book Eat That Frog, talks about creative procrastination; the ability to look at your to do list and highlight the actions that are of greatest value to yourself and those around you. Prioritizing can be key when you have too much to do and only so much focus and brain power for each day. When we try to “do-it-all”, 80% of what we do is half-baked, sloppy and uninspired. When we work outside of our strengths, we experience fatigue and disengagement.
We received a challenge this week at the Sunday morning sermon. We were given a deck of cards to inspire us to try new things to bring more balance to our lives. One of the suggestions was to look at your to-do list and eliminate one thing and add a playful activity instead.
FIND THE FUN!!!
- Play a game with one of your activities today. Compete with yourself, a family member or co-worker and plan a reward for accomplishing a task.
- Get your lunch take-out and go to a park to eat, walk, skip, dance and relax. Check out the Dance/walk video from Soul Pancake
- Look for something that is humorous (not at the expense of others), a great cartoon or joke and share it with friends, family and co-workers.
- Put on “play clothes” as soon as you get home from work today so you can shift your mood more quickly.
- Check out the Institute of Play for more ideas about how kids (and adults) can learn from play!
What can you plan to do today that will feel like play!