How do you feel when you watch the news or read about it on the internet or in the newspaper? I usually feel a little sick. Can these things really be happening in our world? How could one human intentionally harm another human?
Malaise: General feelings of discomfort or being ill-at-ease.
When we hear about a violent act between two humans we have one of two reactions;
- We ingest fear that this violence could be directed at us if we are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- We observe that someone else is acting violently and it gives us permission to do the same.
The mass media broadcast of both good and bad news stories has a ripple effect upon its audience and it can result in good or evil actions.
We have the opportunity to choose the information that we want to carry around with us. When we take an anti-biotic it kills the bad bacteria but it also kills the good bacteria in our natural digestive flora. E coli bacteria is necessary for human digestion but can be deadly when ingested from the outside world. We can re-balance our digestive systems by eating yogurt and taking probiotic supplements.
What is the “good bacteria defense” we can create for a healthy thought system so that we are immune from the effects of mass media? What mental medications can we take to fend of the discomfort and ill-at ease malaise that often accompanies full ingestion of the impact of world and local events on our mind.
- Pick the least invasive form in current news information. Read articles you choose to read, DVR the news so you can skip through topics or videos that contain too much information.
- Center yourself before and after you experience the news of the day.
- Take positive action following information that causes you fear. For example, a storm is coming: prepare immediately. Better yet, prepare now for the inevitable storms of the winter season.
Panic attacks can be the result of not having a plan. Being unprepared is a very fearful state. Pre-pave your way with positive thoughts and intelligent actions.
Make your safety net plan now so you can live in the present with positive energy.
One thought on “Mass Media Malaise”
I like the idea of turning off the TV 🙂